Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Intake manifold/swirl flaps DIY replacement?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gstyle 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

My intake manifold/swirl flaps are worn out on my 3.0 tdi and will need replacing.

I see that you can get re-inforced ones on ebay and don't fancy the labour charges. Does anyone know if it's a difficult job to replace them yourself?

Thanks dudes :thumbsup:

#2 ·
I've been trying to do that today, but having a nightmare getting the drivers side manifold out, Too many pipes and wires over the top, Managed to get it loose but can't get it out, there is a metal cooling pipe over the top which I think is preventing me from doing it.

Think i'm gonna have to remove that pipe tomorrow, which means I'll have to collect the coolant in a bucket, what a PITA !!!

If anyone knows how to do it without removing that pipe let us know !!

#3 ·
completed mine a a couple of weeks ago. remove that coolant pipe and just get some duct tape on it the lest that you can, not much comes out of the bottom end and you can balance the top section of the pipe so that it doesn't leak. then remove the intake filter and ducting and turbo inlet housing and slide the manifold out the back instead of the front.

#4 ·
As far as I am aware, didn't have to remove the pipe on mine. If you are fitting the reinforced ones then you will probably have to cut off a piece of the heat shield to get them to fit. That's what we had to do with mine, but its just a small corner piece and has no detrimental effect on anything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.