"Headlight range detector defective!" - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Colin297 is on a distinguished road
Default "Headlight range detector defective!"

Anyone got any insight into this error?

Seems to be alot of mixed opinion on it.

It's annoying have an error or any kind. Might get it looked at under my cars warranty...
Colin297 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:22 PM   #2

JonnieB is on a distinguished road

Colin, yes I know all about that one.

Do you have vcds?

If so run a scan and clear any fault codes and see if the fault codes reappear in the module that is showing the fault, usually the range module (55 Xenon in vcds for older cars).

The scan will then tell you what part is defective, it may be that you have just hit a pot hole and it needs resetting or one of your sensors (you will have one or two in the rear passengers and front passengers wheel arch attached to the wishbone.

First thing to do is run the scan though.

Take a look at my thread on this

Retrofit Self Levelling - Guidance needed!

Range Module Part number required 2010 on

JB

Audi A5 TFSI
Mods: Rieger RS Bumper (cw headlight washers) - OEM RS Grille - Stone Deflectors - Rotor Alloys - Xenons - Self levelling - Chrome Mirror Covers - LED interior Lights - K&N Filter - Fiscon Bluetooth - Tinted Windows - RS diffuser - custom exhaust, black chrome tips - LED Plate Lights - Carbon Fibre Trim - Chrome Audi Ashtray - XCARLINK - DVB-TV tuner - Sline seats - Rear & Front camera - RS boot.

Last edited by JonnieB; 22nd March 2013 at 11:24 PM.
JonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:03 PM   #3

darrenswift is on a distinguished road

I had this error whilst fiddling about with the range adjustment on VCDS. I must admit that I did panic a bit, but eventually worked out that because I'd accessed the values field and not saved my measurements, the control unit had had assessed it was broken. Saving the values in VCDS rectified the problem which hasn't arisen again since.
Good luck getting it fixed.

3.0 TDI Sport, 6MT, black, cream leather/alcantara electric seats (with key memory mod), Audi parking system plus, hill hold assist, folding photo-chromatic mirrors, S5 mirror housings, 2013 DVD nav MMI Hi 2G, 5570 firmware, B&O, 6CD, AMI, iPhone cradle, cruise, 19" Ys, 15mm hub-centric spacers all round, Audi Drive Select Individual, lap timer, VCDS and a massive grin
darrenswift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.