3ltr or 2ltr Diesel A5? - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2012, 09:33 AM   #1

John08 is on a distinguished road
Default 3ltr or 2ltr Diesel A5?

Just about to order a new A5. Should i buy a 2.0 TDI 177 or the 3.0 TDI 204? The brochure shows similar mpg. I have driven both and obviously the 3.0 ltr has more poke but do i really need a 3.0ltr? the salesman is pushing the 3.0 ltr and apart from the increased price i am not sure if he thinks it is a better engine or what his motives are.

Any advice?

John08
John08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 15th July 2012, 09:39 AM   #2

RGBArgee is on a distinguished road

3.0 240 or 245 Quattro ... too much torque for FWD IMHO

Cheers

RG

[/COLOR] A5+2=A7 Daytona BE quattro [/B] Sold 2011 3.0Tdi quattro S-Line Cabriolet.. most options
Best A5 still missed...2008 3.0Tdi Sport quattro COUPE - Phantom - Silver Valcona - most options.
RGBArgee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15th July 2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Supporting Member

Molle is on a distinguished road

3.0TDI is such a nice engine I would highly recomend that one. I had a 2.0TDI for 5 weeks while the dealer was mocking about with mine and it was really a disapointment to drive it. This may however be because my own was a quattro and the courtesey was a FWD with massive amounts of torque steer and hopeless at accelerating from a standstill in the wet.

In terms of mileage there wasnt a huge difference between the two when i drove them.

So my recommendation above all, quattro.

Sold: 2010 Ibis white A5 Cabriolet 3.0TDI quattro s-line Launch control, B&O, MMI 3G, DAB, AMI, Bluetooth, 19" Y-spoke, Auto Dimming and Folding Mirrors, Electric and Heated front seats, Xenon, Daytime Running Lights.
Mods: VIEZU Remap 290BHP & 580nm, H&R ARBs

Previous: 2008 A5 Coupe 3.0 TDI quattro 2dr Sport Manual

Molle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15th July 2012, 09:50 AM   #4

Thanks for agreeing with me Molle... The 3.0Tdi is such a cracker in 240/245 form and I really think Quattro is vital with such torque. Although if finances dictate I would still go Quattro with a 2.0Tdi personally.

Cheers

RG

[/COLOR] A5+2=A7 Daytona BE quattro [/B] Sold 2011 3.0Tdi quattro S-Line Cabriolet.. most options
Best A5 still missed...2008 3.0Tdi Sport quattro COUPE - Phantom - Silver Valcona - most options.
Old 15th July 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBArgee View Post
Thanks for agreeing with me Molle... The 3.0Tdi is such a cracker in 240/245 form and I really think Quattro is vital with such torque. Although if finances dictate I would still go Quattro with a 2.0Tdi personally.

Cheers

RG
any time

Sold: 2010 Ibis white A5 Cabriolet 3.0TDI quattro s-line Launch control, B&O, MMI 3G, DAB, AMI, Bluetooth, 19" Y-spoke, Auto Dimming and Folding Mirrors, Electric and Heated front seats, Xenon, Daytime Running Lights.

Old 16th July 2012, 03:07 AM   #6

galenthe2nd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would still go Quattro with a 2.0Tdi personally.
Not necessary IMO, i drive a tuned 2.0tdi FWD and in no way would do i need quattro under normal driving conditions.

-G

A5 Sline | Very Black | All the toys!
galenthe2nd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th July 2012, 10:47 AM   #7

shipy is on a distinguished road

As I own one go for 3.0ltr. But the 2.0 I test drove was fine. I'm an ex 3.0 quattro man, and occasionally I miss it but anything wheel spins if you compare it with the quattro and if I continued to drive it like the quattro I'd be wheel spinning all over the place, you just learn to back off.

I love the gearbox so smooth and it's very difficult to tell your driving a diesel it has a nice engine note. Starting to run in now 4k miles and seeing 50mpg + on long journeys something some of the 2.0tdi's only dream of.

BMW M135i 3dr mineral grey, 118i M sport cab, Porsche 944.
vagcom mods inc : Sline screen splash, cruise control, lap timer.
shipy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th July 2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Banned
Supporting Member

S4 EVV is an unknown quantity at this point

3.0q 245 for me too, this is my 2nd 3.0 tdi, I've had the noisey 2.0tdi and tbh when driven they struggle to acheive 35 mpg!! The 3.0 gets ths easily and more even when driven hard
S4 EVV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th July 2012, 12:45 PM   #9

The 3.0 economy is pretty good and often on a par with a 2.0 which is surprising. My last Cab was a 3.0 fwd 52 plate bought new and I owned it for 3 years. I am not Anti all fwd but personally prefer Quattro especially with high levels of torque. We had a less than enjoyable experience with an 08 fwd TT 2.0 the handling was horrid.

By preference given no financial constraints I would always favour Quattro above other considerations.. I love it.

RG

Old 16th July 2012, 01:49 PM   #10

craig_p is on a distinguished road

Personally I would avoid the 2.0tdi if you have a choice. The engine does nothing for me and would never consider choosing it again in a future car. The car would be better matched to a 6 cylinder engine for a luxury coupe, keep the 4 pot tdi for your golfs etc.

If you're not one for driving the car hard then a FWD is probably suitable, however if you enjoy using the power I can confirm that from experience 170bhp through the front wheels on anything other than a completely dry road is chaotic. I can only assume that a 3.0 tdi dumping it's power through the front wheels would be an utter shambles.

In terms of economy the 2.0 tdi delivers far less than the published figures, there are plenty of threads regarding this and despite Audi's fantastic claims you will be lucky to get 50 mpg on an economy run. I've had an A6 177 courtesy car and it was just as poor as my 170 version in the A5. All of this really makes a great case for choosing the 3.0tdi.

2009 Audi A5 2.0 TDI S Line Special Edition Coupe
craig_p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th July 2012, 01:59 PM   #11

gruffle is on a distinguished road

reading your options carefully - I would say go for the 2L and that is from a committed 3.0L V6 fan.
Why - the 3.0L is much heavier and this variant with "only" 204 bhp is not enough of an increase over the 2L and because of this alone will be significantly less economical overall. Furthermore with 2WD and a big lump up front the V6 is is far less compelling a model handling wise imho. The only argument in favour of th 3.0L/204bhp is that it will be much more refined than the 2.0L 4 pot, a valid argument indeed if that is important to you.

2.0L vs 3.0TDi 240bhp/Quattro is a completely different story - the 3.0TDi 240bhp/Quattro every time if you can afford it.

For a Cab the argument re refinement may overtake other considerations of course.
gruffle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th July 2012, 02:04 PM   #12

nino is on a distinguished road

At the end of the day you will get used to the engine and may wish you went for the more powerful. I had the 2.0 TFSI 180ps after a few months I wished I had have gone for the 211ps. My only option was to chip the ecu which brought it's own set of risks. To a certain extent buy the car that you enjoy and will be happy with, whilst mpg is a sensible thing to think about when your talking about 2.0+ engines it's about the thril rather than the economy,and the thril is much more fun!

S5 4.2 V8 Quattro Coupe, HDD Sat Nav, Cruise Control, MMI 3G, AMI, B&O, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Front/Rear Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Phantom Black, RS5 front grille.

Last edited by nino; 16th July 2012 at 02:13 PM.
nino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17th July 2012, 10:52 AM   #13

skdotcom is on a distinguished road

I've driven 2.0TDI a4 as a courtesy car, and found there was too much wheel spin in the wet (much worse than my tuned FWD MINI).
Personally, I wouldn't buy an Audi without a quattro badge in it.

A5 3.0 TDI quattro Sport Tiptronic : 2009MY
Phantom Black | Exclusive Line Black/Magnolia Leather | Black Headlining/Carpets | 19" Y Design Alloys | Storage, Lighting & Comfort Packs | SatNav | B&O | AMI | DAB | 6CD Multichanger | Bluetooth | Xenon + | Auto lights/Wipers | Auto Dim Rearview Mirror | Cruise Control | Advanced Parking Aids & Camera | Folding Mirrors | Memory Heated Seats | S5 Mirror Caps | RS5 Pedals

Weekend Car
MINI CooperS : 2003
220 bhp Engine Mods plus Miltek Exhaust
skdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22nd July 2012, 01:35 AM   #14

John08 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your advice, very helpful. I would love a 3.0 Ltr Quatro but unfortunatly outside my budget.

Thanks again.

John08
John08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22nd July 2012, 05:47 AM   #15

matthewoutram is on a distinguished road

quattro is a nice to have for me in the 211. Sure you can get some spin at twitch at the front if you forgot how to drive - but unless you must race in second from 40-70mph everytime then it's only a problem off the mark if you're trying a 0..60.

If you can get quattro then all well and good but do not be put off FWD.

Matt.

A5 Sportback, 2.0 TFSI (211) S-line, 6 speed manual, Misano Red Pearl, B&O, Cruise, Heated Seats, LED DRL, Bluetooth...
matthewoutram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:56 AM   #16

aadams1x is on a distinguished road

I have the 2.0 tdi and for economy I think it is amazing with nearly 60mpg on long runs, mine is also chipped and goes well...but, If i had the money, no question would love to have the 3.0 tdi badge and quattro etc....so to sum up love my car and love the engine, I couldn't afford the 3.0 but if i could have done and didn't get it i would be kicking myself!

Audi A5 S-Line 2.0 TDI Cabriolet in Quartz Grey

Mods: LED interior Lighting - LED License Plate Lights - H11 Hoen Xenon Match Fogs

If you fancy an Audi Fan Photographing your wedding let me know! www.whiteleyweddings.com
aadams1x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24th July 2012, 01:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadams1x View Post
I have the 2.0 tdi and for economy I think it is amazing with nearly 60mpg on long runs, mine is also chipped and goes well...but, If i had the money, no question would love to have the 3.0 tdi badge and quattro etc....so to sum up love my car and love the engine, I couldn't afford the 3.0 but if i could have done and didn't get it i would be kicking myself!
Sorry ... I don't get this.... You don't get a 3.oTdi 'BAdge' anymore and why would anyone buy the same car with a different 'Badge'..

Most people who have 2.oTdi choose it because of the HMRC tax regime or they can't afford a 3.0Tdi or S5 etc..

I hav eposted this view consistently.... I would love an S5 V8 but do not reckon it's worth the added cost given my current work arrangements etc.. but money no object S5 V8 it would be. The 3.0Tdi is nearly there and a shed load better than the 2.0Tdi which to me appears underpowered and limp in an A5 size car... but those who have no choice it is way better than a Mondeo or Insignia... Audis are generally great and the better the pec, bigger the engine = more enjoyment. Number 1 MUST have in an A5 size car is quattro or is it QUATTRO...

Cheers

RG

Old 24th July 2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Supporting Member

Well it's certainly not Quattro.

Old 25th July 2012, 03:23 AM   #19

matthewoutram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry ... I don't get this.... You don't get a 3.oTdi 'BAdge' anymore and why would anyone buy the same car with a different 'Badge'..
I read it different where badge is used as euphemism (i.e. that he'd like a 3.0 oil burning Q but budget didn't run to it - and as a compromised the chipped 2.0 goes fast(er) and had good economy).

The only thing he could improve on would be a PP, of course ;-)

Matt.

A5 Sportback, 2.0 TFSI (211) S-line, 6 speed manual, Misano Red Pearl, B&O, Cruise, Heated Seats, LED DRL, Bluetooth...
matthewoutram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.