A5 sportback 2017 - Handbrake not (alway) engaging - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By plat27265

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 18th May 2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
A5 sportback 2017 - Handbrake not (alway) engaging

Dear All,
I am an entusiastic owner of a beatuful A5 sportback 2017 sline automatic. I really love it. Here my question for you:

When I turn off the car pushing the on/off button usually she goes in P and the handbrake gets engaged. Unfortunately sometime she goes in P but the handbrake stays [B]not[B] engaged.

I was trying to replicate the problem to understand if there was a pattern but no clue. Sometimes it just does engage.

Any tips?

Thanks in advace

Stefano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 18th May 2017, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

Garage
Welcome aboard, Stefano. I suspect there's too few people here with the B9 platform car to give you a solid answer. I do know there's quite a few new bells and whistles with the new gear shifter. Your best bet is to take it to the dealer and get them to look at it.

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #3 of 13 Old 18th May 2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for your answer.
I will have a word with my garage.

PS what B9?

post #4 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegal View Post
Thanks for your answer.
I will have a word with my garage.

PS what B9?

Refers to your model/shape compared to ours which is the B8 (older)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Is your seatbelt on everytime you try the auto-on park brake?

I know the park brake won't disengage automatically if your seatbelt isn't on.
post #6 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

When you press 'P", is the door open? In my B8.5 S5, my EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) automatically engages if my door is open regardless of whether I am on "P" or not. After I wash the car and just before parking it, I make it a habit not to engage the EPB to allow the brakes to dry without the pads pressed onto the wet brake rotors. To do this (this observation is based on my B8.5 S5 not a B9) I keep the car doors closed, keep my seatblet on, shift the tranny to "P" and push the Start/STop button to turn off the engine. Doing it this way will keep the EPB from activating after the engine is turned off. I then apply wheel chocks as a safety measure so the car won't roll off my parking spot.

If you want to constantly have EPB turn ON every time you press the "P" button, try unlocking your seatbelt before shifting to "P". See if this works all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 09:40 AM

BTW, when forum members mention B8, B8.5, or B9, these codes refer to the internal Audi platform codes for the A5/S5/RS5 and A4/S4/RS4.

B8: MY 2008 to 2012 (in some regions, 2007 to 2011)
B8.5 MY 2013 to 2017 (in some regions, 2012 to 2016)
B9: MY2018 to present (in some regions, 2017 to present)

Audi A6 line uses codes that start with a "C"
Audi A8 line uses codes that start with a "D"
Hassan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plat27265 View Post
When you press 'P", is the door open? In my B8.5 S5, my EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) automatically engages if my door is open regardless of whether I am on "P" or not. After I wash the car and just before parking it, I make it a habit not to engage the EPB to allow the brakes to dry without the pads pressed onto the wet brake rotors. To do this (this observation is based on my B8.5 S5 not a B9) I keep the car doors closed, keep my seatblet on, shift the tranny to "P" and push the Start/STop button to turn off the engine. Doing it this way will keep the EPB from activating after the engine is turned off. I then apply wheel chocks as a safety measure so the car won't roll off my parking spot.

If you want to constantly have EPB turn ON every time you press the "P" button, try unlocking your seatbelt before shifting to "P". See if this works all the time.
hi, i never press P. My way to go is: I park the car, door closed of course, push on/off button (keeping brake pedal down). Now 4 out 5 if I do so engine goes off, car cose in P and EPG get engaged. 1 out 5 car engine gose off, car goes in P...but EPG does not engage.
Very annoying.
post #9 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 12:49 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

Garage
I have 2 questions here:

- why do you want the brakes to engage, since just P would be good enough.
- what does the manual say about this??

A5 SB 2.0 TFSI 155kW quattro Pro-Line S-tron. (16 febr. 2010 - .....)
A3 HB 2.0 FSI 110kW Pro-Line - 8P (26 jan. 2007 - 16 febr. 2010)
 MacBook Air 4.2 - i7 - 256 GB SSD (aug. 2011) - Sierra
Original Ross-Tech cable with Vag-Com/VCDS - 16.8.3
post #10 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44nl View Post

For me, this is a habit that I have learned since I started driving during my teen years. Put the stick in 1st gear, pull the hand brake and turn off the engine. This is done just in case first gear pops out to neutral by accident. You do not want your car to just start rolling downhill in the middle of the night or when you are distracted. Also, engaging the handbrake minimizes stress on the transmission gear especially when the car is parked on an inclined road.

For auto trannys, the same reasoning applies concerning stress on the parking pawl. Without engaging the handbrake, the parking pawl or pin could bend under the stress of bearing some of the weight of the car on an inclined surface. For those who do not know,

Quote:
A transmission parking pawl is a metal pawl (or pin) that engages a notched ring that is attached to the transmission's output shaft when the transmission shifter lever is placed in the "P" Park position.

Most vehicle manufacturers and auto mechanics do not recommend using the transmission's parking pawl as the sole means of securing a parked vehicle, instead recommending it should only be engaged after first applying the vehicle's parking brake. Constant use of only the parking pawl, especially when parking on a steep incline, means that driveline components, and transmission internals, are kept constantly under stress, and can cause wear and eventual failure of the parking pawl or transmission linkage. The pawl might also fail or break if the vehicle is pushed with sufficient force, if the parking brake is not firmly engaged. Replacement can be an expensive operation since it not only requires removing the transmission from the vehicle, but it's usually the first component to be installed in the gearbox case during a complete rebuild.
It is highly inadvisable to use the parking pawl to stop a vehicle in motion. Modern parking pawls are connected to a safety mechanism that prevents the pawl from engaging unless the vehicle is stopped first. The pawl mechanism is generally not strong enough to stop a vehicle in motion, if it engages at all. Under that much stress, the pawl may simply break off in the transmission, leading to costly repairs.

post #11 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44nl View Post
I have 2 questions here:

- what does the manual say about this??
I think I was not clear.
I am not saying I want the breaks to engage, it does it automatically...just it doesn t do it every time. The behaviour is just not consistent!!
If for 4 time in a row the car engage the breaks when I hit On/off i am expecting so also the 5th time too and if it doesn t it annoying and potentially dangerous.
My question is is there a logic behind that I am missing???

Manual does not say anything specific on this
post #12 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plat27265 View Post
For me, this is a habit that I have learned since I started driving during my teen years. Put the stick in 1st gear, pull the hand brake and turn off the engine. This is done just in case first gear pops out to neutral by accident. You do not want your car to just start rolling downhill in the middle of the night or when you are distracted. Also, engaging the handbrake minimizes stress on the transmission gear especially when the car is parked on an inclined road.

For auto trannys, the same reasoning applies concerning stress on the parking pawl. Without engaging the handbrake, the parking pawl or pin could bend under the stress of bearing some of the weight of the car on an inclined surface. For those who do not know,
sorry pal but this comment does not help me in my problem
post #13 of 13 Old 19th May 2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegal View Post
sorry pal but this comment does not help me in my problem
I wrote it in response to fred44nl's question. It was not meant to try to address your problem because it is not, as you said, helpful to you. Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode