LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 17th May 2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
Unhappy "Navigation not active" problem

Hi everyone,

I am in need of your experience and know-how to beat a lost GPS signal problem - the car is not connecting to any satellites. Can anyone shed some light on the "Navigation is not active" problem that is known to occur on A5/A6/A7/Q3/Q5/Q7, resulting in showing completely wrong location?

My 2012 A5 Sportback lost connection to all satellites yesterday (diagnosed by myself after I picked the car up from the paint shop where my I got my windshield changed), resulting in the navigation location being about 30km away from the actual location of the car.

I have read a lot of old threads on various forums but no single solution was put forward. Generally, for some the problem solved itself after awhile, others changed the GPS antenna, whereas third people changed the MMI (5F module) - all with mixed results.

Any help will be appreciated.

FYI, I tried resetting the car battery and the satnav unit but to no avail. Went to the local tech-guy I know, who connected the ECU through the diagnostics port - no error related to navigation there.

Thank you in advance and may you not find yourselves in my position.

p.s. I will be more than happy to post pictures if needed.

Audi A5 | 3.0 TDI | quattro | S-Tronic | S-Line | Sportback | lip spoiler | tinted windows | 19'' S-Line wheels | Michelin tyres

Last edited by atana5ov; 17th May 2017 at 12:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 17th May 2017, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

You may need to drive it around for a few days before it resets itself. I've heard of others with similar problems and it usually sorts itself out after a few days. It took 7 days for one guy so a bit of patience before changing anything. If it hasn't sorted itself out after that you may need some expert help!

A.K.A qtip

Audi A5 3.0L Quattro S-Line Convertible 2010 in Ibis White
Lots of toys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 17th May 2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Paul, much appreciated. Just one thought - would the change of the windshield play any part in this, namely the removing and re-attaching the rear-view mirror?

I know that some A5s come with digital compass in the rear-view mirror. Mine does not. Analyzing the situation objectively lead me to a question, namely, do all A5s have compass in the rear-view mirror that signals the correct direction that the vehicle is headed and, if so, would the GPS become inactive if the compass was not connected correctly when the rear-view mirror was re-attached to the new windshield?

Should I go back to the guys that fitted the windshield and, respectively, the rear-view mirror and ask them to check the wiring?

Regards

Audi A5 | 3.0 TDI | quattro | S-Tronic | S-Line | Sportback | lip spoiler | tinted windows | 19'' S-Line wheels | Michelin tyres

post #4 of 8 Old 18th May 2017, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

If you've removed your battery recently or done any real relating to the navigation, I would encourage patience and a lot of driving. When I changed my unit it took days to pick its location back up, and theres nothing you can do to speed the process up (bar perhaps finding where said location is, turning the unit fully off, driving there, and turning it on so it actually finds you where it thinks you are.

A good few hours driving and sooner or later it will come back. If you have access to the green menu you can check that the GPS areal is still functional but not knowing where these are fitted standard, I couldnt tell you if the windscreen or mirror removal would really have effected it (my aftermarket antenna does need to have contact with glass, not sure where Audi places there's or if it has the same reliance)

Black A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition Coupe

Last edited by Grangey.; 18th May 2017 at 07:34 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 18th May 2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangey. View Post
If you've removed your battery recently or done any real relating to the navigation, I would encourage patience and a lot of driving. When I changed my unit it took days to pick its location back up, and theres nothing you can do to speed the process up (bar perhaps finding where said location is, turning the unit fully off, driving there, and turning it on so it actually finds you where it thinks you are.

A good few hours driving and sooner or later it will come back. If you have access to the green menu you can check that the GPS areal is still functional but not knowing where these are fitted standard, I couldnt tell you if the windscreen or mirror removal would really have effected it (my aftermarket antenna does need to have contact with glass, not sure where Audi places there's or if it has the same reliance)

Thanks, that seems legit. I will be travelling soon so I will keep an eye on the navigation. If not, I will go to the last known location and see how it goes. Will keep you posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 8 Old 18th May 2017, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atana5ov View Post
If not, I will go to the last known location and see how it goes. Will keep you posted!
Hopefully yours isnt 300 miles away like mine was, I cant see why the theory wouldnt work but it is only a theory at this point

Black A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition Coupe
post #7 of 8 Old 19th May 2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Can you tell me where to look in the green menu to see if the GPS areal is working properly? Also, why did you change your navigation unit?

post #8 of 8 Old 20th May 2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some photos from the green menu / nav. If anyone makes sense of them, please translate.
Is there anyway to calibrate the navigation from there?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode