GAP Insurance - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11th February 2008, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

GAP Insurance

Hi All, I wonder if any you guys can recomend any companies that you have bought GAP insurance from and indication of price. My car has arrived at the dealship and I need to sort out the GAP as Audi GAP is so expensive. So any help would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11th February 2008, 02:35 AM

Try this... good in that you can choose the number of years you want to pay for... if you're like me and change every 1 or 2 years you don't want to be paying for 3 or 4 years with Audi GAP/RTI.

http://www.click4gap.co.uk/

Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport - 19" Y wheels, Meteor Grey, black leather, LED lights, MMI Nav Plus, AMI, Active Xenon Plus, DAB radio, Advance Key, Bang & Olufson, Voice control, Electric heated seats, Storage pack, Light pack, Parking advanced, black head lining....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]
post #3 of 5 Old 11th February 2008, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quattrophenia,

Many thanks for the link I have a look.
post #4 of 5 Old 11th February 2008, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Chaswick,

This was batted around another thread a little while ago - I'm assuming you're familiar with the ins and outs of what you're looking for in a GAP insurance policy.

The one I went with in the end was http://www.car2cover.co.uk/ who worked out at 210 for 3 years up to 25k payout. My Audi dealer quoted me 495 and tried to persuade me that theirs was a good deal as it was transferable to another new car if it was written off in the first 6 months. Sounds like a good idea, but in that case you would have another new car (paid for by your insurance company, in all likelihood) but you'd only have 2+1/2 years of GAP insurance left on your 3 year policy.

If you went down the route I did, then yes, the policy is not transferable to the new car. However, just go and buy a whole new policy and you then have 3 years of GAP cover on your second car (an extra 6 months) AND you're still 75 better off!

One thing to watch out for is what the GAP insurance company uses as a valuation. Some will use the Parker's top valuation at the time you buy your policy - generally insurance companies value well below this, which leaves you with either a big gap (kind of defeats the object) or else with a dispute between 2 insurance companies with you stuck in the middle. Some will also not cover any optional extras (only list price of basic car) and others won't cover the VAT you paid to Gordon Brown and his cronies...

The one I've used is actually through Hitachi Insurance (big company, so feel comfortable they're not going to go bust or disappear) and they also insure back to the original sales invoice value for new cars. They only apply a 110% of Glass's guide price if you buy a policy for a car of over 120 days old, so you shouldn't get into a dispute with them (hopefully - never any guarantees with insurance companies! )

Audi history:
95-98 A4 1.8T Sport; 98-03 A4 2.8 quattro; 03-07 S4 4.2 quattro (all saloons)
Now own: (Jan 08-present) A5 3.0 TDi Sport | Phantom Black | Black Milano leather | heated seats | 19" Y alloys | B&O | DVD Satnav+ | AMI | Parking+ | Hill Hold | Adaptive lights | Cruise | Interior light pack
Mods added: Luggage hooks | Boot side net | Hoen fogs | Bluefin remap | Milltek exhaust | Refurbished alloys | Philips X-tremeVision +50% light 4800k Xenon bulbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 11th February 2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Scratch 113,
Thank you for this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode