Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Audi a5 3.0 tdi brakes upgrade???

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  A5strian 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'v recently has some tuning work done to my 3.0 tdi a5 s line, (custom dpf delete downpipe, stage 2 revo map and new hybrid turbo) car is currently running at approx 340bhp, anyway obviously with all this extra power the brakes are constantly overheating, so I'm looking for some advice on upgrading the brakes. I dont necessary want to spent a fortune as the new upgrades have set me back almost 3k. Anyway if anyone has any advice on upgraded brakes it would be much appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
The easy route you'll find is new pads and fluids. Not that I am an expert in the field but I'm sure a quick google will yield you some results, EBC, Ferrado (spelling?) spring to mind, I've heard the name Motul for some sort of race fluid that'll presumably have a different boiling point than the run of the mill brake fluid. Braided hoses would be the next step, but for a true brake upgrade there is no way around a Big Brake Kit.

BBK's run slightly different sizes, from 355mm up to 390mm seem to be the standard for fronts, the larger diameter means you'll have a longer arm and a significantly greater brake torque exerted on the wheel, as well as better heat dissipation through double discs which are vented and also they are of the floating type. The caliper is multi piston for greater force as well as lower unsprung weight due to it being cast/forged in the more expensive variants, add it all up you'll get a vastly improved braking performance.

The obvious downside is cost, as they are usually 2x or 3x the cost of a normal set of brakes, but you are essentially buying the disc, pad AND caliper, which would be expensive regardless should you go OEM. Granted once you've upgraded you'll only have to do pads thereafter, as with a normal brake pad change.

BBK manufacturers, if you google you'll find Audi do a BBK from several of their RS models which fit, I also believe certain Porsche brakes will fit. Aftermarket there is the obvious Brembo, their "low cost" cousin Stoptech, Stasis seem to be popular and, according to the threads I read, equal to Brembo for performance and quality. There was also not too long ago some member here who installed a cheaper BBK which may have been named PB brakes.

Regards

Reactions: SimonRoma
#5 ·
Brakes....

Thanks for this valuable info as I was also thinking of improving my brakes. I have just had my 19" wheels refurbished and the discs and calipers really look shoddy. I will now have a butchers at Ferodo and Brembo pads and I intend to remove and sand blast my calipers and get them painted too. Thanks!!!

Reactions: Mr.wreckless
#4 ·
You seem to be roughly where I am at engine mod wise.

I was suggested Revo for remap as I am not happy with the current remap I have, so I was curious and want to ask you about your driving experience now with those mods and Revo remap, especially since you've done a downpipe and hybrid turbo?

I was under the impression Revo either did a car specific remap and not something generic? (Which, when I enquired recently to remap my remapped car, I got the impression that this guy would upload a standard Revo map, which I wasn't too keen on thinking it would be generic and I have all those mods to my car now).

Sorry for the long post

Regards

#6 ·
Hi, I have Hawk HB641 Ceramic pads on the way and need to change the fluid at the same time, so was considering using ATE Type 200 Dot4- does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone used this fluid? Thanks, Mark

#14 ·
I have used ATE fluid for years and as long as it is available in one form or another I will continue to do so.

When I first started to use it on my track day Scoobs it was know as ATE Blue but the Type 200 replaced this, as I understand it this is almost identical in that is it a Dot4 fluid but with the performance of a Dot5.1 but without the silicon which can rapidly destroy the seals in the master cylinder and calipers if they are not designed for it, which OE Audi calipers are not.

As far as pads go I have always used Ferodo DS2500, which are an excellent fast road and track day pad, they are actually sold as track day pads but unlike 99% of other specific track day pads they WILL perform from cold and are not noisy, the only downside is the brake dust but you cannot have brake performance and zero dust.

As well as the above fit HEL stainless steel braided lines and you will have the best brakes possible without going the BBK route.

#7 ·
Hi, please accept my apologies for the very delayed response to your questions. I have had serious issues logging into a5oc for quite some time.

I'v been driving with the revo stage 2 map for approx 6 weeks now and I couldn't be happier, the car pulls like a train and I'v had zero issues. Wether this is purely down to the remap I'm not sure as the turbo has had work done too, I'll list what was completed in the turbo to convert to hybrid.

But as for reliability and performance then yes I'd definitely recommend revo software.

New Genuine Turbo Modified

Billet Comp Wheel – 49.62mm – 62.00mm

Reprofile Compressor Cover

360 Degree Thrust Bearing

AMG Mercedes Turbine Wheel

Step Gap Performance Turbine Seals

Re-Profile Turbine Housing

Hope this helps, now that I'm back online please feel free to ask for further details.

#8 ·
You should be putting out more power than that with a hybrid turbo. I'm putting out 332bhp with full supersprint exhaust system including DPF delete pipe, FMIC and Revo map.

As for the brakes I'm running S5 front and rears with brembo discs and brembo HP2000 pads. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade for the road (I don't track my car), wasn't too expensive either.

#9 ·
Darkside quotes roughly 350 hp (safe) with their hybrid turbo and decat, if he indeed does have a REVO stage 2 remap, and if we assume this is a (mostly) generic remap that does not take into account the hybrid turbo then I don't think 340 sounds bad at all.

I don't have the details for all hybrid turbos and their turbine sizes, but we could easily consider there are differences between them (and the rolling road measurements) to make up for the 10 bhp difference.

All IMO

Regards

#10 ·
Hey guys, as for my 'approx 340bhp' these figures were quoted from the tuning place that completed all the work. The car has not yet been on a rolling road to get exact figures. The way I see it was 243 standard +40 revo stage 2, +50 hybrid turbo and +10 downpipe. Again I could be miles off these are just my presumptions from what I had done. I'll have to get it booked in somewhere soon to see exactly what it's pulling =) and as for the s5 brakes - that's something I'll definitely look into. I was going to go for drilled and grooved disks and mintex pads.

#11 ·
FYI I ended up with approx 350 hp at the crank corrected for dyno and driveline losses after I had mine on the rolling road yesterday. I thought I was good for even more with my hybrid turbo but the fuel feeder pump gave up. I'll have to look into changing the fuel filter and also consider fitting a second feeder pump.

Regards

#13 ·
Blimey that sure is alot of horses guys, no wonder you need to upgrade the brakes.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.