• 1 Post By forbesy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Newbie 3.0tdi

Hi all,
Thought I's say hello. After 12 years of BMW ownership I thought its time for a change and got myself an A5 3.0 tdi sport. Its Grey with black leather and quite a few options added.

After my last car (330ci) its a totally different drive. I had the 330ci for 5 years and got used to the traction light flashing quite a few times every journey. The A5 however is really a different animal. Traction is great but I am missing the noise and revs of the "gods fuel" (petrol). I'ts a much more relaxed drive however and my family much prefers the ride. The power delivery its totally different but I'm beginning to like it. I did cross paths with an S5 just before this purchase but it didn't impress me as much as I thought hence why I got the oil burner.

Anyway this is what I got. Colour was important, I love black but after the beemer it's too much maintenance so went for grey. Bought with 68k on the clock on a 2008 plate its great inside and out. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0099.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	122825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)

Garage
Welcome forbesy! (Despite shunning the S5 )
I'm a fan of the y spokes since I had them on my last A5.
DavidS likes this.

Current:
His: 2014 S5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 V6 Supercharged Ibis White &
Hers: 2015 A4 S-Line Black Edition quattro 2.0TDi Daytona Grey

Previous:
2013 TT Black Edition quattro 2.0 TDi Brilliant Black
2011 A5 Coupe S-Line Special Edition 2.0T FSi 211 Phantom Black
2008 A4 S-Line Black Edition quattro 2.0T FSi 220 Phantom Black
2007 TT Sport 2.0T FSi Dolphin Grey
2003 A3 Sport 1.9TD(red)i Dolphin Grey
2000 TT quattro 180 Denim Blue
post #3 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Hey Forbesy,

Beautiful A5! I have a 2008 2.0 TFSI, and I was initially looking at buying a 3.0TDi like yours, but I got the A5 for a price that I couldn't refuse (with Xenons, Sat Nav, Leather, etc).

My Brother owns a BMW 645Ci, which does 0-60 in 5.6 secs, whereas, the A5 3.0TDi (like yours) does 0-60 in 5.9 secs. The 0-60 times are very similar, but what's astonishing is that the BMW is a 4.4L Petrol, compared to the Audi, which is a 3.0L Diesel. Whats the power/acceleration like on the 3.0TDi? Does it sound like a BEAST?

T.
post #4 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalibA5 View Post
Hey Forbesy,

Beautiful A5! I have a 2008 2.0 TFSI, and I was initially looking at buying a 3.0TDi like yours, but I got the A5 for a price that I couldn't refuse (with Xenons, Sat Nav, Leather, etc).

My Brother owns a BMW 645Ci, which does 0-60 in 5.6 secs, whereas, the A5 3.0TDi (like yours) does 0-60 in 5.9 secs. The 0-60 times are very similar, but what's astonishing is that the BMW is a 4.4L Petrol, compared to the Audi, which is a 3.0L Diesel. Whats the power/acceleration like on the 3.0TDi? Does it sound like a BEAST?

T.
Aaaagh 645ci now thats a beast to be proud of. Petrol is gods elixir and in my books cant be beaten by oil. Another car I looked at was a 650i, damn fine motor but i couldn't bring myself to the MPG and tax cost for a post 2006 car. The tdi is not a nice sounding car, good for a diesel but that was the only thing the S5 benefited over what i bought.
post #5 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Bairn View Post
Welcome forbesy! (Despite shunning the S5 )
I'm a fan of the y spokes since I had them on my last A5.
Not really shunning, twas a beautiful car but running cost / benefit listening to the V8 burble didn't seem good value but I am missing petrol... Badly!!
Audi Bairn likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)

Garage
Welcome aboard, forbesy. Like you, I came out of a long-term relationship with a 3-series BMW. It took me a little while to get used to the "Audi way" of doing things but, now, I couldn't imagine going back to a non-Quattro car.
The good news on the sound front is that there's lots of handy info here on improving that. Even better, there's also lots of info about lifting performance from merely "quickish" to "weapons grade"! Just in case that relaxed drive and ride starts to wear a bit thin, you understand...

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #7 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianwhitta View Post
Welcome aboard, forbesy. Like you, I came out of a long-term relationship with a 3-series BMW. It took me a little while to get used to the "Audi way" of doing things but, now, I couldn't imagine going back to a non-Quattro car.
The good news on the sound front is that there's lots of handy info here on improving that. Even better, there's also lots of info about lifting performance from merely "quickish" to "weapons grade"! Just in case that relaxed drive and ride starts to wear a bit thin, you understand...
Yeah done some reading, was looking at an offer a local indy has advertised, dpf egr removal and remap. I'm holding off for a few weeks as cluch seems weak and didnt want to spend that much when thoughts are i'll probably need clutch ans DMF short term
post #8 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 04:44 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)

Garage
Aargh! Not the most reassuring start to the ownership experience. Please tell me that you've at least got the manual 'box, so you're not facing the prospect of selling your children to fund the fix!

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #9 of 26 Old 24th June 2016, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum mate
I recently had my car remapped and dpf removed aswell as having the two bax boxes removed and straight piped instead at a good price,
Check yor messages mate
post #10 of 26 Old 25th June 2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianwhitta View Post
Aargh! Not the most reassuring start to the ownership experience. Please tell me that you've at least got the manual 'box, so you're not facing the prospect of selling your children to fund the fix!
Yeah, it's a manual, I don't have any slippage or judder so no problems yet really, a lot I'd looked at including the S5 had new clutch and DMF fitted, there is no mention in my cars history. The clutch does engage a bit higher than I expected when I release the clutch but that isn't necessarily a reliable sign of imminent failure.

It's just after spending quite a few pound notes on the car itself I didn't fancy the extra 1500 - 2000 of both map and clutch repair required after the extra torque has finished it off.
post #11 of 26 Old 25th June 2016, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy View Post
Aaaagh 645ci now thats a beast to be proud of. Petrol is gods elixir and in my books cant be beaten by oil. Another car I looked at was a 650i, damn fine motor but i couldn't bring myself to the MPG and tax cost for a post 2006 car. The tdi is not a nice sounding car, good for a diesel but that was the only thing the S5 benefited over what i bought.
I couldn't agree with you more! His is a 2005 (55 reg), so he pays around 255 for tax all year. I think he's selling his on autotrader. Might even take a part-ex for a Audi A5 *hint hint*

T.
post #12 of 26 Old 6th July 2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Getting used to the diesel power more now and the more comfortable ride.

Found that the fuel cap central locking actuator had failed, fuel flap not locking at all. Decided it was time for a new actuator, paid a visit to my local dealer and walked out with a new part, change from a 20 note too which surprised me.

Anyway, fit the new part and all is working well, after giving the car a wash i noticed that the drain just below the filler pipe was blocked, had a prod round and couldn't seem to drain it. Decided to have a look under the car for the escape route and the pipe runs all way around the arch and ended just above the bottom of the bumper, after a couple of handfuls of crud removed and a further prodding from the underside the trapped water poured out.

So the way I see it, the drain had been blocked for a considerable time and the water splashing around the filler had gotten inside the actuator causing it to fail. Just fitting a new part would have been short lived without actually clearing the drain fault that caused the failure in the first place.

A bit sad i know but sometimes it is satisfying to fix something even as simple as this.

I'm also hoping to bob down to my mates garage and get it up on the ramps for a tinker round to see if anything needs doing, If so i'll be trying out the warranty that came with it although I'm fully aware that its like getting blood from a stone with these companies.

Also going to get him to plug his OBDII gizmo in as the Nav DVD won't eject, not sure if this will work though as although its a all singing and dancing type it''s not the VAG one that some folk say is required.
post #13 of 26 Old 6th July 2016, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy View Post

A bit sad i know but sometimes it is satisfying to fix something even as simple as this.

Also going to get him to plug his OBDII gizmo in as the Nav DVD won't eject, not sure if this will work though as although its a all singing and dancing type it''s not the VAG one that some folk say is required.
Can't beat a satisfaction fix, knowing you done good & little fault is now working as it should be.

I used an OBDII & app to unlock sat nav & brought an original 2016 map dvd from eBay
post #14 of 26 Old 6th July 2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
Can't beat a satisfaction fix, knowing you done good & little fault is now working as it should be.

I used an OBDII & app to unlock sat nav & brought an original 2016 map dvd from eBay
Hi sbones, which OBDII and app did you use, been looking on ebay for maps also, could you send me a link to which one you chose?

Thanks
post #15 of 26 Old 6th July 2016, 11:38 PM

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161437593495

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rizmos.carista

Or itunes if need

Something like this
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152079803974
forbesy likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 7th July 2016, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Wow, didn't realise you could do so much with one of those ELM327 gizmo's. At that price I'd be daft not to buy one - should have it by Monday!

Thanks
sbones likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 7th July 2016, 09:19 AM

It pays for its self even if you use it once to reset your engine management light if comes on
post #18 of 26 Old 7th July 2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
It pays for its self even if you use it once to reset your engine management light if comes on
post #19 of 26 Old 8th July 2016, 10:25 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Garage
I too have a 2008 silver A5 but mine is the 3.2 FSI and I love her to bits!! I too had a BMW for several years and several VWs before that. I find the A5 great fun and I have the same Y spoke wheels on mine, 19". All good until new tyres are required and I recently replaced all 4, and Pirelli P Zeros cost me almost 1000 Euro gulp.......

2008 A5 coupe, silver, 3.2 V6 FSI 2WD with 19" wheels and Pirelli P-Zeros. 150,000km. Leather interior, auto box, S Line. Love it !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished and rear badges removed. In LOVE. Just fitted the pedal box booster thing too.....
post #20 of 26 Old 8th July 2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
I too have a 2008 silver A5 but mine is the 3.2 FSI and I love her to bits!! I too had a BMW for several years and several VWs before that. I find the A5 great fun and I have the same Y spoke wheels on mine, 19". All good until new tyres are required and I recently replaced all 4, and Pirelli P Zeros cost me almost 1000 Euro gulp.......
Haven't really looked at tyres yet, it has 4 new ones on when I bought it, budget ones though.

Usually look at Tyreleader, come out of Germany and I believe they ship all over Europe
post #21 of 26 Old 8th July 2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Stunning car, congrats on your purchase.
post #22 of 26 Old 12th July 2016, 03:07 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Hey I would be a bit careful with budget tyres on a car like this......Years ago my sister got talked into fitting some chinese Green something onto her A3 TSi with 200 horses and it became like trying to guess where it would head on a corner......so I insisted that she changed to some decent tyres and the car returned to normal.

2008 A5 coupe, silver, 3.2 V6 FSI 2WD with 19" wheels and Pirelli P-Zeros. 150,000km. Leather interior, auto box, S Line. Love it !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished and rear badges removed. In LOVE. Just fitted the pedal box booster thing too.....
post #23 of 26 Old 28th July 2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
Hey I would be a bit careful with budget tyres on a car like this......Years ago my sister got talked into fitting some chinese Green something onto her A3 TSi with 200 horses and it became like trying to guess where it would head on a corner......so I insisted that she changed to some decent tyres and the car returned to normal.
Got to say, a few weeks in now and yeah sh!te Chinese tyres but my god the grip in immense with the quattro, even driving like a fool I struggle to get a traction light flash, on my last beemer the traction light came on every time I indicated.

Taking the car on its first leggy journey tomorrow, a week away with her in doors and the kids, 251 according to google maps door to door (thats big in the UK haha). Kids keep saying we should go in mums car, hmm VW tigaun 2.0tdi or A5 3.0tdi. Audi it is, who said we live in a democracy.
post #24 of 26 Old 30th July 2016, 01:46 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Hehe good plan, Tiguan is a lovely people and kids mover (my lady friend has one too) but in terms of fun well.........A5 wins hands down!!!

post #25 of 26 Old 23rd September 2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

3 month update.

The Diesel way has now grown on me, its all about getting the most out of the rev range and using the torque instead as most of you already know. Had a couple of issues in the car, nothing major but more inconveniences.

Problem 1: On the holiday trip to Dorset the exhaust decided to find a crack right in middle of the car where the last owner obviously decided to do a bodge job, fixed it temporarily with a steel bandage whilst away but since had a stainless piece made up and replaced the bodge, rest of the exhaust was mint anyway.

Problem 2: Seemed like I had a puncture, tyre loosing about 6 psi a day, couldn't find anything in the tyre so took it to my local tyre shop, turns out my wheel was cracked. Found a 1 off "Display alloy" on an ebay auction from an Audi dealer, 138 delivered and when it arrived it appeared to be straight from the box new, not a mark on it. Decided that since I had 1 mint alloy and 3 others that had had a not great paint job in the past it was time for a refurb. The guy at the garage explained that the paint they use would be similar but it wouldn't be a perfect match. As must as it hurt I made the decision to get the new one done at the same time. Got to say I'm gobsmacked by the quality of their work, acid dip, wet blast powder coat prime, black paint with silver overlaid to get close to factory finish and laquer, baked at 200 degrees to get a pot hard coating, not cheap mind but definitely worth every penny.

Just before I took it in, a colleague at work tells me "I know a wizard on the tig welding" so I thought, why not, I could keep it as a just in case spare. Normally I would say don't waste yer money on welded wheels but a quick lesson on welding techniques it appears that the usual way is to mig weld, this generates a lot of heat changing the mechanical properties around the weld and thus further cracking near the repair. The mig wasn't even discoloured so minimal heat and therefore minimising the effect on surrounding area. I left the welded spare in the boot of the car just in case when the tyres were removed for the refurb the guys found more cracks, fortunately the others were all good. When I went to pick the car up 2 days later the guy said to me "I had a spare place in the booth and oven so I chucked your spare in". Bonus now I have 5 wheels that are as good as factory fresh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0228.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	127802  

Last edited by forbesy; 23rd September 2016 at 01:43 PM.
post #26 of 26 Old 23rd September 2016, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)

Garage
Nice job. Always had a soft spot for the 5 spoke Y's since my first A5. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan.

A5 3.0TDI quattro Coupe Blk Ed+ S-Tronic - Daytona Grey - 3G+MMI Nav, B&O, DAB, AMI, 19" Gloss Black 'Y' Design, Auto Dim RVM, Elec. Folding & Auto Dim Mem Mirrors, Cruise, Black Leather/Alcantara Elec Memory Seats, Bluetooth, LED Light Pack, Xenon Plus & LED DRL's, High Beam Assist, Parking System Advanced, Adv. Key, ADS, Adaptive Dampers, Privacy Glass, Storage Pack, BlackVue

Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro, Blk Ed, S-Tronic - Glacier
Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro Sport Coupe - Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode