I might have a solution to the morning cold start/ rough idle problem. - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2010, 10:41 AM   #1

acjetpilot is on a distinguished road
Default I might have a solution to the morning cold start/ rough idle problem.

Hello everyone,

I think I may have found a solution (In Canada) to the rough morning starts that occurs sometimes. I have the 2.0 FSI and had occasional issues where the car would shake violently for 10-15 seconds during morning cold starts. The solution I found accidentally was to change gas stations! From the day I purchased my car, I would fill up with only Shell V-Power. From what I have read, Shell is supposed to be the Top Tier gas station that Audi recommends.

About a month ago, I was low in fuel and all the Shell by my area was closed. The only gas station open was Petro-Canada, and I hesitantly filled up a full tank of gas. During the time my car had the Petro-Canada gasoline, I noticed the rough starts in the morning disappeared. I didnít think too much of it as it only occurs occasionally. The next time I required a full fill up, I went back to Shell V-power. The very next day, the morning shakes came back and continued every day until I switched to Petro-Canada again.

So far I havenít had any rough starts with Petro-Canada gasoline. I did some research and they are also considered one of the Top Tier gas brand and contain an additive called Tactrol that supposed to clean the engine.

So far, I have experimented with only 2 tanks of fuel from Petro-Canada, but my rough morning shakes have disappeared completely. Could this be the solution?

If anyone out there has this problem, let me know if changing gas stations (Petro-Canada) works for you.

AC
acjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:51 AM   #2

shadow is on a distinguished road
Cool

Wow I thought you put a wild cam in it!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10th August 2010, 10:52 AM   #3

2011 S-line is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjetpilot View Post
Hello everyone,

I think I may have found a solution (In Canada) to the rough morning starts that occurs sometimes. I have the 2.0 FSI and had occasional issues where the car would shake violently for 10-15 seconds during morning cold starts. The solution I found accidentally was to change gas stations! From the day I purchased my car, I would fill up with only Shell V-Power. From what I have read, Shell is supposed to be the Top Tier gas station that Audi recommends.

About a month ago, I was low in fuel and all the Shell by my area was closed. The only gas station open was Petro-Canada, and I hesitantly filled up a full tank of gas. During the time my car had the Petro-Canada gasoline, I noticed the rough starts in the morning disappeared. I didn’t think too much of it as it only occurs occasionally. The next time I required a full fill up, I went back to Shell V-power. The very next day, the morning shakes came back and continued every day until I switched to Petro-Canada again.

So far I haven’t had any rough starts with Petro-Canada gasoline. I did some research and they are also considered one of the Top Tier gas brand and contain an additive called Tactrol that supposed to clean the engine.

So far, I have experimented with only 2 tanks of fuel from Petro-Canada, but my rough morning shakes have disappeared completely. Could this be the solution?

If anyone out there has this problem, let me know if changing gas stations (Petro-Canada) works for you.

AC
You problem is likely related to low quality gasoline at one particular gas station, which is not representative of the quality of Shell gasoline in general (Shell gas is favoured by many because unlike most other brands, it does not contain ethanol additives unless required by state law). I've had a similar issue with one esso gas station in my old neighbourhood...my guess is that they diluted their gas with some sort of crap.

Try a different Shell gas station and see if you get different results.

Last edited by 2011 S-line; 10th August 2010 at 10:55 AM.
2011 S-line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10th August 2010, 11:36 AM   #4

spottwd is on a distinguished road

So that's how you get rid of the morning shakes?!
spottwd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10th August 2010, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 S-line View Post
You problem is likely related to low quality gasoline at one particular gas station, which is not representative of the quality of Shell gasoline in general (Shell gas is favoured by many because unlike most other brands, it does not contain ethanol additives unless required by state law). I've had a similar issue with one esso gas station in my old neighbourhood...my guess is that they diluted their gas with some sort of crap.

Try a different Shell gas station and see if you get different results.

Funny you say that, cause I actually tired different Shells around my area and had the same results. Maybe all these Shell stations in my area dilute their gas? I'm assuming they come from the same supplier in my city?
Old 10th August 2010, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottwd View Post
It's working for me so far. Try it and see what the results are.
Old 10th August 2010, 01:00 PM   #7

2011 S-line is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Funny you say that, cause I actually tired different Shells around my area and had the same results. Maybe all these Shell stations in my area dilute their gas? I'm assuming they come from the same supplier in my city?
I suppose that's possible. Personally, I've never had any problems with Shell gas with any of the cars that I've owned (although admittedly, none of them were Audis...)
2011 S-line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11th August 2010, 01:10 AM   #8

S5xy is on a distinguished road

It is true, though, that Petro Canada has the best fuel to use during cold times in Canada (IE. winter). My guess is that although Shell's V-Power may perform 'better' when the engine is at optimum temperature, Petro Canada's fuel will reduce the shuddering of the sensitive A5/S5 engine when it is at the starting temperature.
S5xy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11th August 2010, 04:49 AM   #9

ChristopherPovey is on a distinguished road

I tend to avoid Shell stations in the UK as I have found their petrol to produce more soot than other companies.

Chris.

Actual Fuel Consumption: 33.27 MPG (UK Gallon)(Premium Unleaded 95 RON)
Actual Fuel Consumption: 33.26 MPG (UK Gallon)(Super Unleaded 97+ RON)
Price per Mile: 0.18GBP (Premium Unleaded 95 RON)(May-2010 to Feb-2012)
Price per Mile: 0.19GBP (Super Unleaded 97+ RON)(Feb-2012 to -)
Oil Consumption: 3112.34 Km/Ltr
ChristopherPovey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27th April 2011, 06:55 AM   #10

cbotha is on a distinguished road

I'd like to chime in if I can. I am not from a cold area. Florida weather is not really a place where I would expect cold start timing issues. I have an S5 and I have been having issues with a rough start on cooler mornings from the start. Most mornings lately in fact.

I was also initially told by the dealer that it's the gas. I switched to Chevron with Techron and also tried Shell; Mobil etc. No real difference.

I find it hard to believe that Audi would make such an unrefined engine. Audi says the on board computer has no record of misfire. They kept it over night and hooked up a computer to test it. Audi says it is just the V8. I am really disappointed and am still looking for a solution. No Petro-Canada here...

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
cbotha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27th April 2011, 09:03 AM   #11

Question V8 idle

CARBON BUILDUP ?
Old 28th April 2011, 12:51 PM   #12

Could be. I did read some of the threads about the basic design issues with the FSI engine in this regard. My car is only 2 years old though. Is there a non costly quick way to confirm if there is buildup or a miracle chemical to get it out?
Old 28th April 2011, 04:53 PM   #13

Cool carbon

no miracle cure because the gas additives do not get to the back of the valve.treat her right by giving her 93 to eat and let her rev to 5500 once in a while.new plugs at 20,000 somtimes help too.
Old 29th April 2011, 06:28 PM   #14

ExhaustNote is on a distinguished road

cold start shudder on my car was related to carbon buildup. After getting it all cleaned out, I haven't had the problem since.

ExhaustNote
__
RS5
Suzuka Grey Pearl
HRE|H&R
activfilms.tv
ExhaustNote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th April 2011, 07:54 PM   #15

PWWildboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello everyone,

About a month ago, I was low in fuel and all the Shell by my area was closed. The only gas station open was Petro-Canada, and I hesitantly filled up a full tank of gas. During the time my car had the Petro-Canada gasoline, I noticed the rough starts in the morning disappeared. I didnít think too much of it as it only occurs occasionally. The next time I required a full fill up, I went back to Shell V-power. The very next day, the morning shakes came back and continued every day until I switched to Petro-Canada again.

So far I havenít had any rough starts with Petro-Canada gasoline. I did some research and they are also considered one of the Top Tier gas brand and contain an additive called Tactrol that supposed to clean the engine.

AC
I have the same 2010 White 2.0T in a cab but I garage mine and have only had it since Nov. I will be testing the theory for sure. I also use Shell mostly, especially in the Audi. Next best would be Esso for me because I have a fleet card and pricing. Good observation, thanks for sharing. Have you considered Jet B? LOL
The 4 cylinder engine definitely would have a propensity to run rough if the idle is too low. Something to be aware of.
PWWildboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th April 2011, 07:57 PM   #16

PWWildboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottwd View Post
Not so sure you are talking about Hi Octane here. Maybe too much alcohol in the mix?! LOL
PWWildboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3rd May 2011, 06:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustNote View Post
cold start shudder on my car was related to carbon buildup. After getting it all cleaned out, I haven't had the problem since.
Thanks all. I will have them clean it out. Surprised that a 2 year old car with 20K miles would have this issue. Very poor in deed...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.